The why and the how

Hi all!

Decided to create blog for development of game, so to have easy way with this.

Completely failed with my PR to godot, so I decided to not waste time any more on doing thing I think are needed by others and fo things I need myself.
Godot navigation system is a joke. One of strong points of Urho3D is Recast/Detour/DetourCrowd based navigation. It is really powerful and does all I need. I more or less have it complete or close to now. No helper nodes
ready, and I need to comlete proper separation of objects. Never was OOP guy, but I try...

https://github.com/slapin/godot/tree/navigation

Anyway, I'm not yet sure if I'm to submit PR about it as I dont want to waste my tiny bit of free time on fruitless discussion and being frustrated again.
But I think anybody who needs it can pull from github, and I will update that branch for sure.

As I'm getting annoyed by the same questions again and again I just decided to write a small FAQ:

1. Q:. Why do you not pay respect to the people which gave you free engine?
A: Man, just go fuck yourself.
A: I'm not from eastern country when they understand respect this way, sorry.
A: If you feel offended by a tiny bit of critique I presented about Godot feature policy, which is not really friendly to contributirs and biased to Godot core team favor too much, I'm happy you're. You deserve it. Suffer.

2. Q: Why don't you use GDNative for your code?
A: Because it is waste of time
A: Currently GDNAtive is useless.
A: Imagine you make a game. You write a set of modules. And you support 3 platforms. What is easier for you - build single Godot fork for 3 platforms or build Godot for 3 platforms and build GDNative libs for 3 platforms? Fork is easier.
A: If Godot provided the same level of QA and centralized repository for GDNative modules which might maintain at least minimal quality level, that would be worth trying, but in current state it is not worth the effort at all.

3. Do you have a plans of improving the module?
A: Of course
A: There is a lot to be done. I need a lot of features from it. There will be a few re-desingg cycles I think.
A: I need to add lots of helper nodes so to aid visual editing. As for code it is basically script-ready (probably a fw bugs there).

4. Will you add usage video
A: Yes as soon as I make it a bit easier to use.

5. What is already done?
A:
  • Navmesh querying
  • Crowd navigation

6. Next?
A:
  •  polygon-based flags (area flags) assignment (filtering is there already) 
  •  dynamic obstacles
I need to mention that features are already there, I just make them friendly to GDScript and Godot model of operation.

7. When it is ready
A: It is ready when it is ready
A: Soon
A: Will try to update every week, so stay tuned

Comments

Popular posts from this blog